[llvm-dev] The undef story

Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 21:46:48 PDT 2017

Chandler,
               I am not a “politically correct” person, never have been, never will be.
If you are waiting for me to make a politically incorrect statement so you can jump
on it, let me assure you that you will never be disappointed.

But if that’s all you do then you and llvm lose out. If you want to actually help
llvm move forward then you should judge what I say based on its merit, not on its
delivery.

The thing I will agree with you about is that people on this list are well intentioned.
But I still don’t believe my description of “poison” has ever been discussed before,
you were will intentioned in saying it has, but there is no reason to believe it has,
because every time I dig deeper into these issues I run into mis-conceptions and
mis-information. Faulty analysis based on faulty assumptions. Every time. If I sound
hyperbolic it is because I have gotten frustrated from continually running into this.

And before you claim that I have insulted Dan, you might want to get his
opinion on the subject.  My bet is he will react by saying “why didn’t I think
of that”, but in spite of my trying to contact him I have gotten no response.
Perhaps you will have better luck.

Finally, regarding John, when I pushed on the function-inlining example,
rather than responding to it he lashed out at me. That is unprofessional.
I said nothing about it at the time because I try to refrain from meta-discussions.
But it is another reason why I sound so hyperbolic.

Now, getting back to technical, I’m waiting for some C source code examples
showing how  "Current transformations made by LLVM require [posion]”

Peter Lawrence.