[llvm-dev] Test Error Paths for Expected & ErrorOr

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 28 14:36:22 PDT 2017

Hi Stefan, David,

This is very interesting stuff - it adds a dimension of error security that
Error/Expected can't provide on their own. I think it would be interesting
to try to build a tool around this.

Did you identify many cases where "real work" (in your example, the nullptr
dereference" was being done in an error branch? My suspicion is that that
should be rare, but that your tool would be great for exposing logic errors
and resource leaks if run with the sanitizers turned on.

In an ideal world we'd go even further and build a clang/LLDB based tool
that can identify what kinds of errors a function can produce, then inject
instances of those: That would allow us to test actual error handling logic
too, not just the generic surrounding logic.

Cheers,
Lang.