[llvm-dev] Test Error Paths for Expected & ErrorOr

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 27 08:56:48 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM Stefan Gränitz <stefan.graenitz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes definitely, testing a small piece of code like the
> GlobPattern::create() example, it would mostly indicate missing unit tests
> or insufficient test data.
>
> In contrast to unit tests, however, it can also verify correct handling of
> errors passed between function call hierarchies in more complex scenarios.
> For this I should point to the other example in the code, where it's
> applied to llvm::object::createBinary():
>
> https://github.com/weliveindetail/ForceAllErrors-in-LLVM/blob/master/test/TestLLVMObject.h#L13
>
> Here it detects and runs 44 different control paths, that can hardly be
> covered by a unit test altogether, because they don't depend on the input
> to creatBinary() but rather on the environment the test runs in.

 Yep, testing OS level environmental failures would be great for this - I
wonder if there's a good way to distinguish between them (so that this only
hits those cases, but doesn't unduly 'cover' other cases that should be
targeted by tests, etc). Essentially something more opt-in or some other
handshake. (perhaps a certain kind of Error that represents a "this failure
is due to the environment, not the caller's arguments"? Not sure)

Hopefully Lang (author of Error/Expected) chimes in - be curious to hear
his thoughts on this stuff too.

Thanks again for developing it/bringing it up here! :)