[llvm-dev] failing to optimize boolean ops on cmps

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 15 12:26:10 PDT 2017

On 07/14/2017 11:46 AM, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev wrote:

> On 07/14/2017 01:38 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
>>

>>     Not sure about this last part. It is really going to require work
>>     by us to rewrite things. :-) In the mean time, I think we should
>>     go ahead with this.
>>

>> FWIW: My problem is, when put in this framework, we will repeatedly
>> make this same decision, this same way, again and again, and never
>> actually get even started on fixing it :)
>>
>> IE "it's just another small patch!"
>
> You're correct. However, as I'm sure you're aware, developer time is
> not directly transferable in a way that makes any other decision
> optimal. It's not like blocking all improvements to InstCombine will
> cause a movement to appear to rewrite InstCombine. It will only cause
> a shrink in the pool of developers with recent experience working on
> InstCombine (and a lot of out-of-tree patches). Frankly, we don't even
> have a concrete plan for how we'd do this, or even a target design,
> and that's the first item on the critical path to a rewrite. We should
> start an RFC and iterate on this until we have a concrete plan and
> migration plan.
Just want to chime in here in support of what Hal said.  I strongly
believe we should not block incremental progress unless we have a plan
in place for a better design.  In particular, part of being able to come
up with a better design is having multiple people with recent knowledge
of the system which needs replaced and stopping evolution of the old
system by definition inhibits having such a group of people.

Philip