[llvm-dev] Question about thinLTO

Christudasan D via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 13 20:52:41 PDT 2017

Hi Tobias,

Unlike a regular processor, calling conventions in our architecture is
quite different. It introduces extra instructions at call-site & callee's
prologue. In an average, a call occupies 7-10 extra instructions in the
code memory (I am not allowed to talk more about it). For that reason,
inlining a function would sometimes bring us better code even for a higher
inline-threshold.

Like you mentioned, cross-module inlining is the main transformation with
thinLTO. Though it increases the code size after inlining, it also opens up
the opportunities to optimize the combined code with regular IR passes
(const and copy propagation, dce, cse, etc..) and there by reducing the
code size further. That was the key motivation for us to think about this
optimization.

We have a simplified LTO (remove dead functions in the linked binary)
implemented in the custom linker now. But that won't be sufficient to
address the linking challenges thinLTO require.

Thanks,
Christu