[llvm-dev] Upcoming removal of std::auto_ptr (in C++1z)

Eric Fiselier via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 24 02:03:53 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Stephen Checkoway via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > On Jan 23, 2017, at 15:32, Marshall Clow via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > The upcoming C++1z (probably C++17) standard will not contain several
> things - most notably auto_ptr.
>
> Purely for my own edification, is the rationale for this available
> somewhere?

Here is a draft of the paper <https://isocpp.org/files/papers/N4190.txt>
which removed it.

The short and sweet rational for it is that auto_ptr was designed before
C++ had move semantics.
and because of that it doesn't behave like a move-only type should and is
unsafe because of it.