[llvm-dev] Specify special cases of delay slots in the back end

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 9 14:46:12 PST 2017

   Hello.
     Hal, thank you for the information.
     I managed to get inspired from PPCHazardRecognizers.cpp. So I created my very simple
[Target]HazardRecognizers.cpp pass that is also derived from ScoreboardHazardRecognizer.
My class only implements the method getHazardType(), which checks if, as stated in my
first email, for example, I have a store instruction that is storing the value updated by
the instruction immediately above, which is NOT ok, since for my processor this is a data
hazard and in this case I have to insert a NOP in between by making getHazardType() to:
       return NoopHazard; // this basically emits noop

     However, to my surprise, my very simple post-RA scheduler (using my class derived
from ScoreboardHazardRecognizer) is cycling FOREVER after this return NoopHazard, by
calling getHazardType() again and again for this SAME store instruction I found in the
first place with the data hazard problem. So, llc is no longer finishing - I have to stop
the process because of this strange behavior.
     I was expecting after the first call to getHazardType() with the respective store
instruction (and return NoopHazard) that the scheduler would move forward to the other
instructions in the DAG/basic-block.

     Do you have an idea what can I do to fix this problem?

   Thank you very much,
     Alex