[llvm-dev] Fuzzing bitcode reader

Kostya Serebryany via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 2 10:18:10 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de> wrote:

> > About a GSOC, my own personal opinion is that we should try to give
> > interesting / fun projects to student and not use them as cheap labor to
> fix
> > the small bugs and issues we’re not able to prioritize ourself.
>
> I'd see this from a different perspective. The GSoC says its focus is
> "bringing more student developers into open source software
> development" [1]. For such a goal maintenance work is more purposeful
> than an interesting side-project whose future is uncertain after the
> program ends. At least more interaction with the community and the
> code base is assured. Moreover, the student gets paid and is free to
> not apply for this kind of work; a luxury we employees usually do not
> have.

We are trying to do similar fuzzing work in FreeType with GSoC:
https://www.freetype.org/gsoc.html (the page will have more details soon)

So GSoC *may* work for LLVM fuzzing as well if we have interested hosts.
I'd be happy to be a co-host on the fuzzing side, but someone else
will need to be a co-host on the side of bit-code reader (or whatever else
we want to fuzz in LLVM)

a side note: I hope to get to structured fuzzing for some parts of LLVM
(firstly, clang)
using protobufs (https://github.com/google/libprotobuf-mutator).
But there is enough interesting work to give to a student in summer (again,
if there will be interested co-hosts)

--kcc