[llvm-dev] RFC #3: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

André Jansen Medeiros Villar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 23 09:15:27 PDT 2017

llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> In particular, if you use code under the Apache 2 license,
>   some of your rights will terminate if you claim in court that the
>   code violates a patent.

I'm really ignorant of the legal nuances but this is my question:

Isn't it irrelevant what the licence says in this case? The limitation of
rights happens anyways, because patent law trumps copyright law, no ?

I am making an honest question, not intended to sparkle a flame war or to
be trollish. With that said I will recognize here
that i do not agree with with the openBSD or even the the GPLv3 folks.

Also could you suggest what kind of alteration would make you guys happy
and still provide for patent protection for individuals and corporations?