[llvm-dev] -sanitizer-coverage-prune-blocks=true and LibFuzzer

Jonas Wagner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 22 00:10:55 PDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the tests and the info!

Looks like one of the binaries got simply unlucky with a particular seed.

Ouch... I should have tried :/

Conclusions:
> * testing a fuzzing engine is not trivial :(
> * testing it on a very short run with a single seed may be misleading

Yup. I'll try to be more careful with this in the future.

And if I'll have time, I'll try to analyze that coverage plateau a bit. It
would be insightful to know which mutation takes the fuzzer beyond the 60
basic blocks, and which of the coverage counters picks up the change --
even if it's just one specific case for one specific benchmark.

BTW, I am also looking into more automation of libFuzzer testing.
> With trace-pc-guard we now have libFuzzer's flag -print_coverage=1 that
> will print all the covered lines.
> My hope is that this feature can be used for more detailed analysis of
> coverage differences.

Cool. I'll give this a try too. I have some ideas about testing and
analyzing coverage... will post them on libfuzzer@ once they are more
mature.

Cheers,
Jonas