[llvm-dev] -sanitizer-coverage-prune-blocks=true and LibFuzzer

Kostya Serebryany via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 21 14:03:07 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 21, 2016, at 1:25 PM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 21, 2016, at 12:56 PM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com> wrote:

>>> Because the topic is very separate.
>>>

>>> Can you clarify?
>>>
>>> I thought is was about the development/debug/evolution/usability of
>>> http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/lib/Fuzzer/
>>>

>> Yes, and this topic is substantially different from most other topics
>> discussed on llvm-dev.
>>

>> How so? If discussion on the development of a LLVM sub-library does not
>> belong to llvm-dev, I wonder if the library belong to LLVM in the first
>> place (add to this that libFuzzer does not use anything else in LLVM…).
>>

> There are users of libFuzzer that don't know much about LLVM and don't
> need/want to.
> They may want to subscribe to a mailing list that talks precisely about
> the topic they want.
>

> Right, so basically libFuzzer should not be in the LLVM repo.

For libFuzzer *development* having it in LLVM tree makes lots of sense
because
 * libFuzzer is closely tied to the sanitizer coverage currently available
only in LLVM
 * The LLVM testing infrastructure (lit+FileCheck) is very convenient.
But If there is a consensus that libFuzzer does not belong to the LLVM tree
I can delete it from here, no problem.

> (I will clearly happy to answer any user on this, or any other maliing
> list, if I see such message.
>

>> We also have separate maliing lists for asan/tsan/msan
>>
>> Is it for more anything else than historical reasons?
>>

> Not only. there are asan/tsan users that don't use nor depend on LLVM.
>  (not true for msan though)
>
> Please stop discussing this topic here -- we already hijacked the thread
> from Jonas.
>

> Well, no, you killed this thread by saying that it should be continued on
> a different mailing list.

No, please re-read what I've said.