[llvm-dev] https://reviews.llvm.org/D23393

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 13 00:45:13 PDT 2016

On 13 September 2016 at 07:59, Piotr Padlewski via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> This is exactly why we should switch to github. It is much easier for new
> contributors to start with small fixes.

There are two really quite separate issues here:
1) Patches, even trivial ones can sit unreviewed for long periods of
time leading to a negative first time contribution experience.
2) Arguably, Phabricator provides a confusing interface for first-time
or irregular users. There are efforts to improve this
https://secure.phabricator.com/T5000

As for 1), this is something a few of us discussed at the LLVM
Cauldron in Hebden Bridge last week which inspired me to give a
lightning talk. Slides:
<https://speakerdeck.com/asb/can-we-improve-the-experience-of-first-time-llvm-contributors>
Video: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32fmbEI9WrM> I'm intending to
start an RFC thread when I get a chance. The tl;dr is I propose
stealing Rust's highfive-bot and forming a team of eager volunteers
who want to help improve response times for patches from first-time
contributors.

Best,

Alex