[llvm-dev] [X86] FMA transformation restrictions

Michael Kuperstein via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 12 12:07:22 PDT 2016

Hi David,

Assuming I understood the question correctly - Intel doesn't specify which
FMA instruction is going to be used, but it does specify what it expects
the result to be.

E.g. for
__m128 _mm_fmadd_ss (__m128 a, __m128 b, __m128 c)
the specified semantics are:

dst[31:0] := (a[31:0] * b[31:0]) + c[31:0]
dst[127:32] := a[127:32]
dst[MAX:128] := 0

The user is allowed to rely on the upper bits of the result being the upper
bits of a, and the compiler is required choose an appropriate instruction
form that will make this happen.

Thanks,
  Michael