[llvm-dev] Recommended computer resources to build llvm

Wink Saville via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 6 15:21:48 PDT 2016

Yes, it did appear to be in the linking steps and initially I had only
a 240MB swap on my SSD and the build failed and my chromium browser
tabs all died, probably because of CPU starvation. I then added a 16GB
swap file on a HD and computer still got very slow as the resources
got used up and it was tough to do anything on the computer even
control C took a minute or more to abort the compilation. I tried -j8
more or less the same thing so I then dropped to -j2 and finally it
succeeded.

So it sounds like for 12 CPU's I should bump up the RAM size.

And the tip about changing -j for linker might also bear some fruit.

Thanks.