[llvm-dev] Recommended computer resources to build llvm

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 6 15:06:13 PDT 2016

That's a reasonably well resourced machine, though the last couple of years
I've been spec'ing quad core (plus HT) machines with 32 GB rather than 16
GB, and you've got 50% more cores.

Still that should be plenty for 12 compiler instances. I suspect the
problem is something else, such as link steps.

I haven't looked at the actual ninja rules, but you can specify a smaller
"-j" setting for particular kinds of build steps. See:

https://ninja-build.org/manual.html#ref_pool

I have no idea whether the llvm ninja rules currently include something
like that.