[llvm-dev] Embedding LLD version to executables

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 29 00:50:56 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 06:07:09PM -0400, Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev
> wrote:
> > I am ok with both ".note.linker-version" and adding an entry to .comment.
>
> There is one important different between the two -- strip normally has
> to preserve the former, but not the latter. As such, I'd quite a bit
> prefer using .comment.

+1 for .comment; we should be consistent with how clang handles .ident,
since this is conceptually the same information.

In fact, during LTO, LLD should probably add an ident entry to any module
that it codegens to indicate that it was codegenerated through LLD; but
that's a separate discussion.

-- Sean Silva