[llvm-dev] MPI Support in LLVM

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 21 11:46:27 PDT 2016

Hi Ahmed,

On 10/16, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I want to know does LLVM has support for MPI Programming Model? Can we do
> > LLVM optimizations in MPI Programs?
>
> MPI is an API. With the exception of builtins and some C standard
> library functions (malloc, math) LLVM/clang does not try to understand
> external function calls nor optimizes them.
While Michael did already answers your question, I wanted to inform you
about some recent efforts to introduce parallelism into the LLVM-IR. It
would make it feasible for clang to interpret (at least some) MPI calls,
though this is far ahead in the future.

If you are interested check out the discussion on the mailing list (look
for the [PIR] tag in the subject).

Cheers,
  Johannes

--