[llvm-dev] BoF: Shipping Software as LLVM IR (@Upcoming Dev Mtg)

Will Dietz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 14 11:32:23 PDT 2016

Hi LLVM’ers!

We are hosting a BoF at this year's Dev Meeting on a subject we hope will
be of interest to some (many?) of you:
shipping software (entirely) as LLVM IR.

You can find our proposal in the meeting schedule online:

https://llvmdevelopersmeetingbay2016.sched.org/event/8Yzq/shipping-software-as-llvm-ir

The BoF is scheduled to last 45 minutes, which will go by very quickly!
To make the best use of the time, we'd like to get a head-start on some of
the discussions,
and get a feel for what topics people are most interested in discussing.
To start things off, here are a few suggestions for things to discuss.
Thoughts -- and suggestions for additional topics -- welcome.

* Do you ship software as IR today? What lessons have you learned?
* Challenges of shipping software as IR
* Representing software: Beyond a single module
* From build systems to LLVM IR: toolchains and more
* What would you do with a platform where everything was available as LLVM
IR?
* What tools or infrastructure would help make that happen?

(Some background to explain why we’re interested in this topic.)
ALLVM: We have a project in our group exploring the benefits of shipping
*all* software on a system as IR.  We are building a prototype ALLVM system
that makes it relatively easy to package and ship software in this way.
We are researching the benefits this could provide for performance and
for general software development.  We aim to make the ALLVM prototype
available in open source form to enable other groups to explore these goals.
Contact us off-list if you’d like to learn more about the ALLVM project.

~Will (and Vikram)