[llvm-dev] (Thin)LTO llvm build

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 2 09:02:08 PDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Xinliang David Li <xinliangli at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > bfd linker 2.26 works fine with LLVMgold.so.   As I mentioned in a
> previous
> > email, 2.26 ar and ranlib also works fine as long as LLVMgold.so is put
> in a
> > path binutils know about : $(bindir)/../lib/bfd-plugins/
>
> I don't want to put a copy or symlink my user LLVMgold.so in
> the system owned /usr.
>
> My system has binutils 2.27.

I meant 2.26 and above  so your bfd ld should work well with thinLTO. Note
that clang driver will pass -plugin path option to the linker command line,
so for linking step, you don't need to rely on having LLVMgold.so installed
in your /usr location (which is unlike ar and ranlib for which -plugin
option is not passed to them).

This just explains why thinLTO works without using gold linker.

> AFAIU, if I explicitly tell cmake to use llvm-ar/llvm-ranlib, then it will
> do the right thing for ThinLTO and make LLVMgold plugin will be
> used.

Yes, that is fine too.

David