[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Charles Davis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 13:49:21 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> FWIW, this pretty much exactly how it breaks down for me. Can this
> sentence be abused? Yes. But that abuse is equally a problem, and I think
> the community is mature enough to handle and respond to it, especially
> within the framework provided.
>
> That said, I wonder what folks think about strengthening the
> "de-intensifying" language? As a small change that might help:
>
> "In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces may, in rare
> cases, affect a person's ability to participate within them."
>
> Essentially trying to drive home that this would be a very unusual and
> specific event.

​I suppose I may have been a little hasty. Very well. I guess I'll adopt a
"wait and see" approach. I've little doubt now any committee we select now
from the community would apply this largely fairly. I'm just worried about
more radical, totalitarian elements attempting to infiltrate the community,
and from there, the committee. *That's* how I see that language possibly
being abused in the future. (And in case it isn't clear, let me just state
for the record, I do not think any of you are totalitarian.)