[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 19:09:46 PDT 2016

Hi All,

To Tanya, Chandler, Philip, and everyone else who worked on this: Thank
you! I really like the revised version of the CoC. The extra emphasis on
continuity with existing standards answers the minor concerns I had with
the original version, and I think you did a great job at capturing the
spirit of the community.

Renato, Joachim, and others who are concerned: For what it's worth I lean
libertarian on these things, and my gut instinct is to distrust attempts to
codify what is and isn't reasonable behaviour. As you say - any
codification has the potential to be subverted for mischief. That said,
given the emphasis the new document places on maintaining our existing
culture I don't think it will encourage any mischief in practice, and it
might encourage people to join the community who would otherwise have been
wary of doing so. That seems like a big net win.

Cheers,
Lang.