[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 11:36:51 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 4:32 AM David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On 5 May 2016, at 12:14, Charles Davis via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > The last sentence of the third paragraph bothers me:
> >
> >> In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces may affect
> >> a person's ability to participate within them.
> > ​This essentially gives the committee carte blanche to police our
> thoughts no matter where we are or what we're doing. I don't like the idea
> of having my thoughts policed. There are people out there who will abuse
> ​this for their own ends! I can't let those people do that.
>
> Something like this is required, based on real problems that have existed
> in some other communities.  If one LLVM contributor is attacking another on
> Facebook / Twitter / whatever, then it’s not acceptable for the LLVM
> community to simply say ‘it’s not on our mailing lists, it’s not our
> problem’.

Agreed.

I'm sorry that this probably means that Charles and I have an
irreconcilable difference of perspective and opinion here, but I think this
is necessary.

I would also expect any group selected to help respond to violations to be
reasonable about this. While any system can be abused (including the
current system!) we can call that abuse out and stop it. Personally, I have
a tremendous amount of trust in the LLVM community to enforce these things
in a productive and not malicious or subversive way.