[llvm-dev] Pre-build binary Clang 3.8 for openSuse Leap 42.1?

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 13 05:46:09 PDT 2016

Hi Renato,
> We already have Suse packages done by Brian, I suggest you talk to him
> about also releasing a newer binary tarball.

Sure you have, but not for the latest openSuse release.

> But have in mind that those packages are not strictly official,
> they're just a demonstration that it works on those distros. For any
> distro (Linux, BSD, etc.), users *must* get the packages from the
> official repositories.

I'd love to take RPMs, but openSuse's ones have no version in the
package name. LLVM 3.8 replaces the installed 3.7 which is a dependency
of my graphics stack. Without breaking the dependencies, it does not work.
With GCC packages it is different, as they are co-installable and have
the version number trailing in package and binary names like g++-4.9 or
g++-5.

I am building Clang on my machine for personal use. With little extra
effort, I could provide a pre-build binary.

Bye
Christoph