[llvm-dev] RFC: Comprehensive Static Instrumentation

Kostya Serebryany via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 17 10:41:21 PDT 2016

> I would also argue that a key design feature of LLVM is to make writing
> such passes simple, and I think LLVM accomplishes this.  If one understands
> how to build an efficient dynamic analysis, one can probably handle writing
> the compiler passes.
> John Criswell

I disagree here.
LLVM *is* the simplest-to-use compiler infrastructure I've used,
but not having to deal with a compiler guts for prototyping ideas is still
an order of magnitude simpler.
For most of the CSI use cases the users will not even need to understand
anything about compilers (except for the concept of basic blocks).

And we should not expect CSI to be as fast and as specializable as a custom
pass.
CSI's power is in the ability to attract more people to do quick-and-easy
experiments.

--kcc