[llvm-dev] Target Acceptance Policy

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 26 17:11:29 PDT 2016

On 27 Jul 2016 12:50 a.m., "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> Sure; have we accepted backends in the recent past which contained code
that did not meet our coding conventions?

I'm no authority, but when people have a back end to contribute, they have
already done some due diligence, and the conventions are usually mostly
there.

But because the target was implemented off tree, there was less peer
review, and why we may accept some minor violations if they get fixed
later. Usually things that clang format can't fix.

For more accurate information, you could look into the recent merges: bpf,
system z, apple's ARM64, lanai. They all had different histories. Also
arm's AArch64, which was mostly brewed inside tree, but a good part was
copied from the arm back end (I even found the same bugs on both) ;)

I personally see all those efforts as successful, each with their own
quirks, maybe none of them perfect, but definitely better with them than
without.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic?

Cheers,
Renato