[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 17:31:47 PDT 2016

FYI jyknight and I have a hacky script that sort of works for
translating commits to the existing monorepo.  I'm working on cleaning
it up and applying it to David Chisnall's branches.  Hopefully I'll
have something by eod tomorrow.  (This isn't to take a position on
using the existing monorepo as our new source of truth, nor to take a
position on any particular directory layout.)

I wanted to try to merge David's llvm and clang branches into a single
branch -- that would be a big usability improvement over the current
situation.  But there isn't enough information in the repositories to
recover the correct interleaving.  You could try to order by date, but
that only works so long as the history is linear...  So I gave up on
that feature.

I also kind of like the idea of these projected repositories, and if
that's sufficient, awesome, save us some work.