[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 10:14:17 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 21 July 2016 at 18:06, David Chisnall <david.chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> - libc++ is useful and frequently built without any of the rest of LLVM
>
> but it interlocks with libunwind and compiler-rt...
>

>> The same applies to libunwind.  If you’re building an entire toolchain then you might want to use it, but most projects don’t benefit from it and it implements a well-defined standard ABI and so doesn’t need to be updated in lockstep with anything else.
>
> Using RT without libunwind on ARM is weird. libgcc_s has some of the
> functionality, but the split between libgcc, _s and _eh is not the
> same as compiler-rt, libc++abi and libunwind.
>
> If one want's a reasonable solution, one (today) needs to include all
> three. Then why not libc++? I mean, GCC does build libstdc++ in tree
> already, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

Not true - the non-gnu libunwind which is outside of the llvm family
of projects works just fine on AArch64. We're dealing with hopefully
standard interfaces and A1 vs A2 comparisons.

Again - this is thread is digressing - wrong solution to wrong problem
- Renato step back and try not to let the thread get detracted