[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 10:12:56 PDT 2016

> Which projects do we put under this monolithic repository?

The proposal at the moment is to include

  llvm, clang, clang-tools-extra, lld, polly, lldb, llgo, compiler-rt,
openmp, and parallel-libs.

This is the set {llvm} plus the transitive closure of "projects that
are version-locked to a project in the set", where the closure is
taken over the set of all active LLVM subprojects.

Projects that don't depend on a specific version of llvm or some other
subproject -- test-suite and libc++ -- are not included.  Everything
else is, because the whole idea is to have one repository that
captures the implicit versioning dependencies between (say) lldb and
llvm.

As soon as we have one version-locked subproject that's not in the
monolithic repo, we now we have to maintain an umbrella repo that
tells you which version of llvm corresponds to which version of the
version-locked-but-not-in-monolithic repo.

The cost of including additional projects in the monolithic repository
is very low, since you can ignore them using sparse checkouts.