[llvm-dev] RFC: SIMD math-function library

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 14 20:53:54 PDT 2016

Hi again,

As this RFC implies, I've been using the SLEEF library proposed here with Clang/LLVM for many years, and fully support its adoption into the LLVM project.

I'm CC'ing Matt and Xinmin from Intel who have started working on contributing support for their SVML library to LLVM (http://reviews.llvm.org/D19544), and I understand plan to contribute (some subset of) the vector math functions themselves. I'm also excited about Intel's planned contributions.

Here's how I currently see the situation: Regardless of what Intel contributes, we need a solution in this space for many different architectures. From personal experience, SLEEF is relatively easy to port to different architectures (i.e. different vector ISAs), and has already been ported to several. The performance is good as is the accuracy. I think it would make a great foundation for a vector-math-function runtime library for the LLVM project. I don't know what routines Intel is planning to contribute, or for what architectures they're tuned, but I expect we'll want to use those implementations on x86 platforms where appropriate.

Matt, Xinmin, what do you think?

Thanks again,
Hal