[llvm-dev] Suggestion to Stop Cross Posting Discussions

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 11 16:56:24 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 11, 2016, at 1:10 AM, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 9 Jul 2016, at 03:55, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think having yet another mailing list is a dramatically worse
> solution than simply fixing our mailing list system to allow subscribers to
> any of the lists post to all of the lists.
> >
> > I believe that allowing cross-posting would only solve half of the
> problem.  We have two issues:
> >
> > - Some discussions don’t have a single well-defined home.
> >
> > - Some members of the wider community don’t subscribe to any of the
> lists because they’re too high-traffic and so miss out on things that are
> relevant to them
>
> I think the third issue is the largest, which is that the current
> situation is a huge pain for mailing list moderators.  I did this for years
> and know the pain very well.

Yep.

I've done some research and for this specific problem, and recent versions
of Mailman directly support this. See the "@LISTNAME" syntax mentioned here:
https://answers.stanford.edu/solution/how-do-i-configure-my-list-accept-non-members-postings

Or look at the help text provided in the admin interface for the
"accept_these_nonmembers" field which mentions the @ syntax.

So I think we can solve at least these problems with technology, and then
we should re-evaluate whether the remainder warrant being solved.