[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 22 11:24:11 PST 2016

IMO, this thread has by now gone way beyond its useful life, and at this
point it really seems to me like the best thing to do is to just stop, and
continue on with development in the same direction as it's been going so
far -- the pace of development has thus far been amazing, and it would be a
HUGE shame to get in the way of that.

But, I do think it would be worthwhile to keep Chandler's 3 points for
being "library-compatible" in mind during development, even if the code
does not actually adhere to it for now:

> - Cannot rely on global state
> - Cannot directly call "exit" (but can call "abort" for *programmer*
> errors like asserts)
> - Cannot leak memory

I'd suggest that it would be reasonable to reopen the discussion about
making LLD be library-compatible again after a few months have gone by,
preferably in a calmer fashion, and ideally reopened by someone presenting
a draft patch/plan that starts towards implementing the necessary changes
to accomplish that.

It's not really possible to reason about the tradeoffs, without seeing what
it might actually look like -- all we have now is "It'd make the code too
ugly" vs "No it wouldn't, plus it's really important to do". There's
basically no way to resolve that argument via further discussion.