[llvm-dev] Building SVN head with CMake - shared libraries?

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 15 07:42:35 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Andrew Wilkins via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > And one immediate "problem" shows up. I ended up with
>> >
>> > libLLVM-3.9svn.so
>> >
>> > and
>> >
>> > libclang.so
>> > libclang.so.3.9
>> >
>> > LLVM's shared lib naming looks wrong.
>>

> Wrong because they're inconsistent? libLLVM was changed recently
> (major.minor added to library name) to match what autotools builds did.

Neither the LLVM nor clang libraries keep compatibility with previous
versions.

So having the version in the name (rather than using an soversion) is
typically more useful, as then llvm/clang 3.7 and 3.8 can be coinstallable
and you can decide at build time which one you want to build against
(instead of having only a single libclang.so symlink that points to one or
the other).