[llvm-dev] High memory use and LVI/Correlated Value Propagation

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 14 11:05:56 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

The current LVI is a bit hard to analyze, i'm not sure it's really as fixed
height as one would think.

> I understand that it goes from top -> defined -> overdefined, and that's
> three, but defined is not itself one state. Because it is tracking integer
> ranges, those ranges could undergo 2^#bits refinements in the worst case
> (thus making the lattice height quite large), no?

If it tracks ranges on a per-bit basis, the max refinements for a given
range is is O(bits * 3), assuming things do not go the wrong way on the
lattice.

IE either they are underdefined, or they are 1, or they are 0, or they are
overdefined.

The lattice is

underdefined
 /     \
0     1
 \   /
overdefined

The only way to end up with 2**n refinements is if things can go the other
direction on the lattice.

Note: This is the standard fixpoint algorithm (and what LVI is emulating,
AFAIK).  There are range constraint based solvers that are significantly
more complicated, but that's not what LVI does.

(see https://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/range-tacas04.pdf, and the
paper i cite below, which does a variant of that on llvm in pretty much
linear time)

Also, the worst case here is one where every variable is affected by a
single range.

(it's also possible to lazily construct the ssa form, and only update
changed variables, in the same time bound. It's probably complicated enough
to implement that it may not be worth it).

In practice, you can do even complicated ranges very fast.

http://homepages.dcc.ufmg.br/~fernando/publications/papers/CGO13_raphael.pdf

(the time is basically linear in practice, even for large programs, code is
on github)

Ignore the part where they use it in the end for something else that we
don't care about, etc.

They are also solving for a much more complex set of ranges than we are
talking about for CVP, and for all the variables, so they use a real range
constraint solver in the end instead of a fixpoint with a fixed height
lattice.