[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 26 11:51:58 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 7:05 AM Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> On 25 February 2016 at 21:24, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > 1) Actually push a clone of the test suite onto github and sort out any
> > boring details of getting the hosting of it working[1].
>
> Is this going to be a move or a copy with auto-update from the current git
> repo?
>
> The former is simpler in the long run, but may disrupt some people and
> automated processes.

I think we can do some very low overhead syncing of a copy until we figure
out the mechanics. That way there is no real disruption. If it becomes a
problem of course, can reconsider.

> > 2) Figure out some initial practices (with enforcement if available) for
> > keeping the github master clean.
>
> Depends on how you doing step 1. Again, moving will make this trivial.

I mean practices in the hypothetical eventual state of it being the home of
the repo. IE, what commands are used to push, how is it enforced, etc.

> > 3) Propose the mechanical "how will this work" with accompanying
> > documentation update to the LLVM webpages in a new thread, and make sure
> > folks are happy with the concrete mechanics at least as an initial cut
>
> If you're moving, I'd think you should do this step first.
>
> If not, someone will have to bear the cost of updating until we get to
> a consensus.

I think we should wait to do the move until we have a concrete suggested
workflow that matches really well with the existing workflow. I think
keeping a copy reasonably in sync until then won't be a real burden as the
test-suite moves pretty slowly.

> > Naturally, the last step is going to be last, and has an enormous *IF* in
> > front of it. =] No actual patches to it (other than testing this whole
> > system) will happen on github, etc.
>
> The test-suite repo is low-traffic enough that this will probably be
> an easy migration.
>

> > I'm not going to be doing all of this myself, unsurprisingly. I think I
> know
> > a few people who would be willing to help, but if other LLVM contributors
> > are interested in helping with the #1 - #3 stuff, just lemme know and
> I'll
> > try to make sure everyone has access to the github bits. At least up
> through
> > #3 I'm not really worried about anything as its just an experiment.
>
> This tells me you're not moving, but maintaining a separate copy. :)
>
> I'd be glad to help. My GitHub username is (unsurprisingly) rengolin.

Cool, will loop you in as we go!