[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 14:30:42 PST 2016

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 02:20:24PM -0700, Jonathan Roelofs via llvm-dev wrote:
>> 2) There is the cap on total repository size, which is in the neighborhood
>> of 1Gb [3]. A fresh checkout of test-suite clocks in at just over 3Gb. This
>> one actually is a problem.
>
> This is not really true. Individual pack files must be below 1GB, but
> the total repository can be much larger. That's true even for the free
> tiers. That said, it might be good idea to split the repository into
> modules to keep it managable.

I'm really in favor of a modular test-suite, splitting as much as possible the infrastructure with the individual suites, and making it super easy and convenient to assemble modular suites together. We already have the mechanism for "external" test-suite, it would just need to be first-class.
i.e. I'd like to clone the test-suite, which would get me only the infrastructure but no test to run, and then easily say: "clone these test-suite and make them available: llvm, Halide, etc." which would clone them from separate repositories. And then list the available suite and quick runs over chosen ones.

Just some thoughts...

--
Mehdi