[llvm-dev] llc gives Segmentation fault at instruction selection in my own back end [was Re: Instruction selection gives "LLVM ERROR: Cannot select"]

RCU via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 6 11:31:08 PST 2016

   Hello.
     Just wanted to tell you that I found the bug in my back end.

     Turned out that the problem was that I implemented just as a "return false" the method:
       bool [MyTarget]DAGToDAGISel::selectIntAddrMSA(SDValue Addr, SDValue &Base,
                                               SDValue &Offset) const {
     Note that the Base and Offset arguments are references. And they have to get changed
- see the equivalent method in the Mips back end in MipsSEIselDAGToDAG.cpp.
     So, these parameters were not set in my back end's selectIntAddrMSA() method and this
was upsetting the DoInstructionSelect().

     I've spent quite a bit of time debugging llc to find the bug - it's not really
obvious to find.
     Maybe somebody would be able to improve llc to prevent these kind of errors in the
future - I guess Base and Offset can be checked somewhere in the caller chain of
selectIntAddrMSA() and have an assert if it is not of the right value.
     Can somebody help with this?

   Best regards,
     Alex