[llvm-dev] When was ExternDirective removed from MCAsmInfo and why?

Ryan Taylor via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 16 13:39:35 PDT 2016

Ok, I'm assuming that LLVM is simply following GNU Assembler (GAS) on this
matter but is making all undefined symbols external a good idea?

This could be problematic for debugging written assembly if we rely on the
linker to catch these and bundle them all into unresolved externals. To me,
it just seems like not that much code to support ExternDirective and makes
the ASM better.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ryan