[llvm-dev] RFC: A cross platform way of using shell commands in lit tests

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 16 09:19:53 PDT 2016

I see many tests that are prefixed with "requires: shell".  A quick search
over the codebase shows 101 tests that contain this directive.  This
basically means there are 101 tests that say "I don't support running on
Windows".

I would like to get this number to 0.

Ironically, many of these tests can be made to run on Windows simply by
removing the requires: shell line.  As in, it doesn't *actually* require a
shell.  This is because the meaning of requires shell is not intuitive.
GnuWin32 <http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html#software> is already a
required dependency, so any shell *command *that you are familiar with
probably exists on Windows already.  For example, consider the following
test in clang-tidy:

// REQUIRES: shell
// RUN: mkdir -p %T/compilation-database-test/include
// RUN: mkdir -p %T/compilation-database-test/a
// RUN: mkdir -p %T/compilation-database-test/b
// RUN: echo 'int *AA = 0;' > %T/compilation-database-test/a/a.cpp
// RUN: echo 'int *AB = 0;' > %T/compilation-database-test/a/b.cpp
// RUN: echo 'int *BB = 0;' > %T/compilation-database-test/b/b.cpp
// RUN: echo 'int *BC = 0;' > %T/compilation-database-test/b/c.cpp
// RUN: echo 'int *HP = 0;' > %T/compilation-database-test/include/header.h
// RUN: echo '#include "header.h"' > %T/compilation-database-test/b/d.cpp
// RUN: sed 's|test_dir|%T/compilation-database-test|g'
%S/Inputs/compilation-database/template.json > %T/compile_commands.json
// RUN: clang-tidy --checks=-*,modernize-use-nullptr -p %T
%T/compilation-database-test/b/not-exist -header-filter=.*
// RUN: clang-tidy --checks=-*,modernize-use-nullptr -p %T
%T/compilation-database-test/a/a.cpp %T/compilation-database-test/a/b.cpp
%T/compilation-database-test/b/b.cpp %T/compilation-database-test/b/c.cpp
%T/compilation-database-test/b/d.cpp -header-filter=.* -fix
// RUN: FileCheck -input-file=%T/compilation-database-test/a/a.cpp %s
-check-prefix=CHECK-FIX1
// RUN: FileCheck -input-file=%T/compilation-database-test/a/b.cpp %s
-check-prefix=CHECK-FIX2
// RUN: FileCheck -input-file=%T/compilation-database-test/b/b.cpp %s
-check-prefix=CHECK-FIX3
// RUN: FileCheck -input-file=%T/compilation-database-test/b/c.cpp %s
-check-prefix=CHECK-FIX4
// RUN: FileCheck -input-file=%T/compilation-database-test/include/header.h
%s -check-prefix=CHECK-FIX5

This test does not require a shell!  Remove the line (and change the %S and
%T on the sed line to %/S and %/T) and this test already works on Windows!

I have inspected around 20 tests so far that claim to require shell, and so
far only about 3 of them are more complicated than removing the line.

"Great, so just remove the lines!  Why are you posting this?"

Well, It would be nice if we could remove the GnuWin32 dependency as well.
Lots of tests use grep, sed, cd, ln, or whatever.  Anyone who's ever tried
downloading and installing GnuWin32 knows what a pain it is.  It installs
programs called, for example, "link" which interfere with standard windows
tools, and puts them in your path.  There are other examples of this.  And
it's also HUGE.  And nobody can ever figure out how to download it
correctly.  Plus there are some minor differences in the tools behavior.

I'm proposing that we replace shell commands in tests with a tool that we
create which implements the most common shell commands and options.

it doesn't need to be a complete implementation of the commands.  Nobody
cares about echo -n, or sed -u, for example.  We could keep it simple with
the most common commands, most of which would be trivially implementable
using the llvm Support library already.  Complicated commands like awk, for
example, could be absent.  Chances are you need to simplify your test if
you're using something like that (presently exactly 1 test in all of LLVM
uses it).  What I'm imagining is something like this:

D:\src\llvmbuild\ninja>bin\llvm-shutil --help
OVERVIEW: LLVM Shell Utility Program

USAGE: llvm-shutil.exe [subcommand] [options]

SUBCOMMANDS:

  cd - Change current working directory
  mkdir   - Make a directory
  ln - Create a link
  grep - Search for content in a file
  sort - Sort lines
  // etc, rest of commands go here.

  Type "llvm-shutil.exe <subcommand> -help" to get more help on a specific
subcommand

Generic Options:

  -stdout=<file>   - Redirect stdout to the specified file
  -stderr=<file>    - Redirect stderr to the specified file
  -stdin=<file>     - Read stdin from the specified file
  -help      - Display available options (-help-hidden for more)
  -help-list - Display list of available options (-help-list-hidden for
more)
  -version   - Display the version of this program

With something like this, we could kill two birds with one stone.  GnuWin32
dependency is gone, and there is no more confusion about what "requires:
shell" actually means.

The reason we wrote lit the way we did is so that everyone could be
speaking the same language when they write tests, no matter which platform
they're on.  So it would be nice to eliminate the last area where this is
still not the case.

thoughts?