[llvm-dev] Testing "normal" cross-compilers versus GPU backends

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 04:54:17 PDT 2015

On 9/3/2015 7:56 PM, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev wrote:
> Right, intuitively it doesn't make sense.  Is it actually useful to build a
> GPU compiler that will crash unless you ask it to generate GPU code? Seems
> to me it should default to producing GPU code.

If the lack of the default triple was to become a feature, the compiler
could simply request specific arch/cpu settings and exit gracefully.
The default triple could be set to something that explicitly states the
absence of a particular default target (e.g. triple=none, or something
like that).  This may not be useful for popular targets (that are used
as hosts), but it might be for embedded targets that come in a variety
of different flavors.  The default choice may be a lot less obvious in
those cases.  As an added bonus, if users have to explicitly specify
target details, they would be immune to potential changes of the
defaults if they were to upgrade the compiler.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation