[llvm-dev] Testing "normal" cross-compilers versus GPU backends

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 17:56:56 PDT 2015

Um, that may be asking a bit much...

> > Krzysztof suggested much the same thing that I think you are currently
> > doing, which is deliberately configure a default triple but exclude the
> > corresponding backend.
>
> You and Takumi were considering this as an unsupported configuration
> before, and I tend to agree with that (this is the configuration I’m using
> for our tests but it was not intentional to leave the default triple
> unset).

Right, intuitively it doesn't make sense.  Is it actually useful to build a
GPU compiler that will crash unless you ask it to generate GPU code? Seems
to me it should default to producing GPU code.

> > I expect we can detect that situation in lit.cfg
> > and exclude tests on that basis, rather than 'native'.  It would solve
> > the problem for my case (host triple != target triple, although the arch
> > parts of the triple do match) and the "normal" cross-compiler case (e.g.
> > host = X86, backend + target triple = ARM).
> >
> > I'm going to play around with that and see what I can do to make it
> work.

> there
> >> is
> >> triple.
> is
> >> not

> >> common

> > Right, sorry, lost focus for a moment there... nevertheless it is still
> > the case that many tests exercise functionality that is not particularly
> > target-centric and these should be run for any target that actually
> > supports that functionality.  For example, the DebugInfo tests should
> > be run for any target that supports emitting debug info.
>
> I’m not sure that “debug info” support is all or nothing.
> As an extreme example, I know targets that support debug info but do not
> support function calls, what if your "debug info” test involves these?

Then as part of getting the test suite to work for you, you would need to
disable that particular test for your target.  It sounds like this kind of
thing is exactly what the Hexagon folks did, and it seems quite reasonable.
(And in fact I see two DebugInfo tests marked XFAIL: hexagon.)

> Also, I’m not a DebugInfo expert, but when a front-end generated them,
> aren’t they dependent on the DataLayout? Hence the target?

Not really. DebugInfo tests primarily care what the DWARF description
looks like, not so much what the generated code looks like, and there
are 100 or so DebugInfo tests that work across lots of targets.

Many DebugInfo tests are in target-dependent directories as artifacts of
how the tests are implemented, rather than because they are truly
target-dependent. The ones I've tripped over tend to be target-specific
because they generate assembler and the assembler syntax varies too much
across targets to be worth making the CHECKs tolerant enough.

There are fine details that would be DataLayout dependent, but 99% of
the DebugInfo tests aren't checking things that are at such a low level.

> It means that many DebugInfo test could fail with a backend that would
> have a significantly different DataLayout and won’t expect some stuff the
> way they are played down.
>

> >  Whether a
> > target supports debug info is orthogonal to its native-ness. As written
> > the top-level DebugInfo tests should work fine as long as the default
> > triple's backend is included, and that backend supports debug info.
> >
> > If your backend doesn't support debug info, then it's reasonable to
> > exclude those from your testing; but we can't do that at the cost of
> > excluding those from testing other backends that *do* support the
> feature,
> > even if that testing runs in a cross-compiler environment.
> >
> > In this particular example, we'd be setting things up so that DebugInfo
> > is excluded for the wrong reason (not based on some more abstract idea
> > of the feature-set of the target) but as Krzysztof observes, getting
> > a feature-oriented set of conditions would be a huge task.
>
> Agree: the predicate I wrote is not correct, and I don’t see a trivial
> “good” solution. This is why any compromise or intermediate solution that
> is good enough to support whatever use-case people here have, including
> your, seems appropriate to implement.
>
> Let me know I can help coding something.

I have experimented with implementing the thing Takumi and I think should
be a configuration error. :-)  Basically it takes the same kind of approach
that I did in D12506, except it checks for the existence of the target that
matches the default triple. If that target exists then 'llc' with no triple
will succeed, and it looks like the bulk of the tests that you disabled are
in that category.  I'm not especially happy about this tactic, though.

The Hexagon precedent is interesting; Krzysztof said they set the default
triple, and didn't have to xfail all that much stuff.  Searching the tree,
I find exactly 7 individual tests marked XFAIL: hexagon, plus it disables
all of ExecutionEngine, and turns off the 'object-emission' feature.

I'm curious if you would try setting the default triple to match your
target, and see what /kinds/ of tests fail.  The raw number is much less
interesting than in the categories.

Thanks,
--paulr