[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 12:35:25 PDT 2015

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov <mailto:hfinkel at anl.gov>> wrote:
> > From: "Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>
>
> > Some back story here. I have gotten many requests through email and
> > at the developer meetings about having a Code of Conduct and
> > specifically having one for LLVM Developer Meetings. It has been
> > discussed at many of the LLVM socials as well. I can see in
> > hindsight this might appear to be coming out of nowhere for some,
> > but it really is coming from a need we (the board) heard from the
> > community.
>
> This is very useful information. Can you summarize the motivations of those making the requests (anonymized, of course)? It seems odd that someone would ask about a 'Code of Conduct' without some particular impetus, and we obviously want to make sure that we're addressing the specific requirements that have come up. What information was being sought?
>
> In fact, I'm not aware of these requests being tied to any particular impetus. While that seems strange to you, it is not uncommon.
>
> The industry at large has hit a large number of specific issues over the past few years that have provide (IMO) ample motivation for setting reasonable guidelines in place *before* there is a specific impetus. I don't think there is any reason to be surprised that several people within the community would notice the lack of a code of conduct and wish it existed. I had noted the lack, and I very much wished it existed, but without any specific impetus.
>
> Now, a reasonable question is "does this address the concerns of those who have voiced them". I don't want to speak for Tanya, but I have heard confirmation from all of those that I have heard express such a concern that what is being proposed addresses their concerns. (Not to say that it is perfect, just that it appears to be sufficient.)

Yes, Chandler summed up some of the reasons well.

Related specifically to the developers meeting, we are growing quite rapidly. For the past few years, we have been increasing our attendance from 50 at the start to now over 350 attendees. With this many people (and many new to the community), it seems important to have a code of conduct to refer to and possibly *prevent* any incidents from happening. And for some people (not sure exact percentage), it makes them feel more comfortable attending a conference that has a code of conduct.

-Tanya