[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 07:59:02 PDT 2015

On 10/14/2015 9:43 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:32 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev
>
>     CoC is not going to stop or prevent any harassment.
>

> Do you have any data to back up this claim? I don't have any *data* that
> says anything conclusive about whether a code of conduct will stop or
> prevent harassment in an open source community -- there are relatively
> few such communities and not much time in order to collect such data.

No, I don't.  I base my opinion on the notion that people don't do bad
things not because they are illegal, but because the things are---bad.
The "do unto others" rule is widely recognized for its universal value
and for most people it comes naturally.

> There have been numerous research studies here, and peoples' views on
> what constitutes this varies *very widely*. This is especially true
> across cultures. I can try to dig up links to some of them if that is
> useful to you.

No doubt that in the large enough group of people, these views will
vary, however the LLVM community is not simply a set of people from the
larger population.  It concentrates people with certain common
background (type of education, type of profession, etc.), and with that
background comes a certain common mindset.  In the time that I have
participated in the mailing list discussions, I have not seen examples
of behaviors that would suggest imposing a CoC.

I agree that a CoC for in-person meetings (such as conferences) may be
needed, but they should also be crafted specifically to address problems
that are pertinent to the circumstances.  For mailing list discussions I
see it as unnecessary for reasons I have explained in other emails.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation