[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 07:43:35 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:32 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 10/14/2015 8:22 AM, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev wrote:
> >
> > Stop possible future harrassment before it can happen.
> >
> > It's a legitimate concern actually.
>
> CoC is not going to stop or prevent any harassment.

Do you have any data to back up this claim? I don't have any *data* that
says anything conclusive about whether a code of conduct will stop or
prevent harassment in an open source community -- there are relatively few
such communities and not much time in order to collect such data.

However, several events and communities have reported that their problems
with these issues (and they had more problems largely due to being larger
communities) decreased.

And all of the expert recommendations on how to reduce or prevent these
things suggests having a code of conduct precisely *because* it defines
these things and spells everything out clearly.

> It only defines
> what behaviors are considered "harassment", and that is something we all
> seem to have a good grasp of anyway.

There have been numerous research studies here, and peoples' views on what
constitutes this varies *very widely*. This is especially true across
cultures. I can try to dig up links to some of them if that is useful to
you.