[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 06:59:36 PDT 2015

On 10/14/2015 8:44 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 14 October 2015 at 14:32, Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> The current administrators of the mailing
>> lists, or the organizers of the LLVM conferences already have the means to
>> deal with it.
>
> Not really.
>
> We haven't had to ban anyone from the list or kick anyone from a
> conference yet, but without some form of written agreement, it'd be
> hard to get to any concrete solution if it were to happen.

There is no assumed "right to participate" in the mailing lists, at
least that's how I see it.  The administrators are not under obligation
to allow access to everyone.  I agree that having a written CoC would
make it easier to justify exclusion, but banning someone should not be
the first remedial action anyway.  It would normally be preceded by some
sort of communication from the administrators, at which point the nature
of the offence would be clarified, and only repeated behavior would lead
to a ban.  This can be done today without any special documents.  This
relies on the "benevolent authority" of the administrators, which is not
always granted (although I think this list does not suffer from that).
On the other hand, a codified CoC could encourage loophole-seeking and
alternative interpretations of certain passages on the part of the
intentional offenders.  Ultimately, the administrators would have the
last word, which is not all that different from the no-CoC approach.

Another problem with a CoC is that if it puts too much stress on "not
offending" anyone, some people may avoid voicing certain (legitimate)
thoughts out of fear of being considered offensive.

A conference is a completely different thing, as it is a subject to
actual law (contract, etc.).  A written CoC for a conference would be a
good idea, and agreeing to it could be a requirement for participation.
  The difference there is that this agreement would be legally binding,
and allow for legal remedies for violations.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation