[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 16:43:39 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> > From: "Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
>

> > Some back story here. I have gotten many requests through email and
> > at the developer meetings about having a Code of Conduct and
> > specifically having one for LLVM Developer Meetings. It has been
> > discussed at many of the LLVM socials as well. I can see in
> > hindsight this might appear to be coming out of nowhere for some,
> > but it really is coming from a need we (the board) heard from the
> > community.
>
> This is very useful information. Can you summarize the motivations of
> those making the requests (anonymized, of course)? It seems odd that
> someone would ask about a 'Code of Conduct' without some particular
> impetus, and we obviously want to make sure that we're addressing the
> specific requirements that have come up. What information was being sought?

In fact, I'm not aware of these requests being tied to any particular
impetus. While that seems strange to you, it is not uncommon.

The industry at large has hit a large number of specific issues over the
past few years that have provide (IMO) ample motivation for setting
reasonable guidelines in place *before* there is a specific impetus. I
don't think there is any reason to be surprised that several people within
the community would notice the lack of a code of conduct and wish it
existed. I had noted the lack, and I very much wished it existed, but
without any specific impetus.

Now, a reasonable question is "does this address the concerns of those who
have voiced them". I don't want to speak for Tanya, but I have heard
confirmation from all of those that I have heard express such a concern
that what is being proposed addresses their concerns. (Not to say that it
is perfect, just that it appears to be sufficient.)

-Chandler