[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 09:44:33 PDT 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 17:35, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:
> sexual orientation != sex != gender identity and expression, so
> personally, I am in favor of this (though I feel like sex could be
> dropped due to the gender identity clause).

Are we going to list every possible choice human beings can take in
their own lives and list them? If so, we'll need a much bigger
Internet to hold our small web page.

And why some topics have more nuances than others? Because that's a
very specific list for a very specific country where people take
everything everyone says literally.

If sexuality and immigration are more important than culture and
education in that one specific country, why would such an
international community guidelines have to carry that bias?

So, we can either solve it by removing the whole phrase starting with
"This includes, but is not limited to", or we can list every possible
discrimination that has ever happened and could ever happen in the
future. I vote for the former solution throughout the document. We're
not children nor lawyers.

cheers,
--renato