[llvm-dev] Buildbot Noise

Chris Matthews via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 15:20:26 PDT 2015

One strategy I use for our flaky bots is to have them email me only.  If the failure is real, then I forward the email to who ever I find on the blame list.  For a flaky build, this is least you can do. For our flaky builds I know how and why they are flaky, some person that gets email does not.  This is also a great motivator to help me know what is wrong, and how to fix it.  By default, all new builds I create I do this, until I decide the SNR is appropriate for the community.  Yes I have to triage builds sometimes, but I have an interest in them working, and people always acting on green dragon emails, so I think it is worth it.  Beyond that, we have regexes which identify common failures, and highlight them in the build page and log.  For instance, a build that fails with a ninja error, will say so, same with a svn failure or a Jenkins exception.

We also have a few polices on email: only email on first failure, don’t email on exception and abort, and don’t email long blame lists (more than 10 people).  These require some manual intervention sometimes.  But no point in emailing the wrong people, or too many people.  We also track the failure span for all of our builds, if any fail for more than a day, I get an email to go shake things up.  We also keep a cluster wide health metric, which is the total number of hours of currently failing builds, I use this as an overall indicator of how the builds are doing.

In all our CI cluster we use phased builds.  Phase 1 is a fast incremental builder and a no bootstrap release asserts build.  If those build, we trigger a release with LTO build, if that works, we trigger all the rest of our compilers and tests.  It is a waste to queue long builds on revisions that have not been vetted in some way.  In some places the tree of builds is 4 deep, and  the turn around time can be upwards of 12 hours after commit, BUT failures in those bots are rare, because so much other testing has gone on beforehand.

Mechanically, staging works by uploading the build artifacts to a central web server, then passing a URL to the next set of builds so they can download the compiler.  This also speeds up builds that would otherwise have to build a compiler to run a test.  For the lab, I think that won’t work as well because of the diversity of platforms and configurations, but a known good revision could be passed around. Some of the fast reliable builds can run first, and publish all the builds that work.

I do think flaky bots should only email their owners.  I also think we should nominate some reliable fast builds to produce vetted revision, and trigger most other builds from those.