[llvm-dev] [RFC] Deprecating autoconf: Let's do it!
Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 09:56:42 PST 2015
Since my last update we’ve landed patches for these issues:
* Bug 14200 - -fno-rtti not in cxxflags given by llvm-config
* Bug 23746 - test-suite lacks CMake support
* Bug 25059 - CMake libllvm.so.$MAJOR.$MINOR shared object name not compatible with ldconfig
On my last thread Jonathan Roelofs pointed out that there is a workaround for Bug 21568 (Cannot add rpath), so I’m making it non-blocking. Which leaves only Bug 23947, which I’m also going to move that to non-blocking because it only applies to building LLVM on MIPS64 hardware.
With those changes we have no issues left blocking deprecating autoconf. There are still some issues we should track and follow through on, but I think all major uses are covered and we can make CMake the only officially supported way to build LLVM.
My proposal at this point is that we should officially deprecate autoconf, and I would like to follow this process for removing it:
(1) Add a note to the release notes for 3.8, and a big warning at the end of the configure script telling people to use CMake
(2) Support autoconf with bug fixes only, no new features for 3.8
(3) After the 3.8 branch remove all the makefiles and have the configure script log a message to use CMake
(4) After the 3.9 branch remove the configure script completely
I’ve attached a patch that handles the first step. Please let me know if this sounds like a reasonable path for the community.
Also, a big “Thank You” to everyone who has contributed patches, reviewed patches, and helped out with this work over the last year. It has been a long road, but the end is in sight!
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1533 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the llvm-dev