[llvm-dev] [RFC] Deprecating autoconf: Let's do it!

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 10:12:38 PST 2015

On 6 November 2015 at 17:56, Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> My proposal at this point is that we should officially deprecate autoconf, and I would like to follow this process for removing it:

Hi Chris,

+2 for this!

We have moved every ARM and AArch64 buildbot to CMake, and the 3.7
release was done using CMake. So now, I don't even know if autoconf
works any more. :)

> (1) Add a note to the release notes for 3.8, and a big warning at the end of the configure script telling people to use CMake
> (2) Support autoconf with bug fixes only, no new features for 3.8
> (3) After the 3.8 branch remove all the makefiles and have the configure script log a message to use CMake
> (4) After the 3.9 branch remove the configure script completely

Sounds like a plan! +1

cheers,
--renato

PS: It's about time I change the documentation... :)
http://llvm.org/docs/HowToBuildOnARM.html