[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:02:53 PDT 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 21:08, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
> <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As for the advantages, this seems to make it easier to drop the
>> autoconf build, which would be a really big win for us.
>

> My only problem here is this: it *seems*.
>
> I would like concrete and specific advantages. I think we're just being way
> too hypothetical and vague.
>
> If there are specific things that we cannot do today and could do by
> requiring a certain version of cmake, that would be a good discussion to
> have. Saying that there might be things and that they might help isn't going
> to get us anywhere. ;]

>From above in this thread:

I should also point out that CMAKE_SYSROOT and
CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_TARGET (both CMake 3.0 features) would make
fixing compiler-rt's CMake (Bugs 14109 & 21562) a lot easier. Both of
those bugs are currently blockers to depreciating the autotools build
system.

But it does look like we have a general issue here: Why is linux
special? If requiring a cmake that does't ship with a given system is
an issue at all, then we couldn't use any version of cmake because of
OS X and Windows.

Cheers,
Rafael